In the late 1920’s, or early 1930’s, Nick Montague opened up a gas station and grocery store on this hill just east of Marshall , MO and they called it Montague Hill. It is east of Marshall , which is on Hwy 65, and a little south of Hwy 41. The “Hill” became less important in the 1960’s when the new highway was opened a little to the north.
We talked to John L. Thomas, the self-proclaimed “Mayor of Montague” at his nice home across the street from the still standing station and store. His wife helped run the store for her uncle in earlier days.
The country is fairly flat farmland with some rural residences. An older railroad runs along the small river between the “Hill” and the town of Marshall . The town of Marshall has several large grain elevators and a main railroad to handle the local crops. This area is also known for the Lewis and Clark Trail and the Santa Fe Trail .
Click Thumbnail for Larger Image
|Return to Towns & Ancestors Home||Town Location Listing||Ancestor Listing||Return to Top of this Page|
Saturday, May 30, 2015 08:27:38 PM
© Copyright 1996-2012 by
The Montague Millennium, Inc.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Founder and Concept:
Larry E. Montague
8151 Clinton Way Cove
Cordova (Memphis), TN 38018-63263
Home: (901) 937-8228
Cell: (901) 212-2295